Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cough - Ideas? And some news

I haven't posted anything about it yet but I am 20 weeks pregnant with a baby girl. We are really excited and I am understandably a bit nervous. We had out big ultrasound on Thursday and have had a few in the past few weeks, the last two have said girl :)

My question to my four readers is this: I have a cough, a bad one. It started with a cold and has ended with a non stop cough. I mean I cough for two hours straight when I try to fall asleep and once I am asleep, I wake up coughing for another hour or two after three hours. I have tried the following:

-humidifier cranked up near my bed
-sleeping basically upright
-the one cough syrup pregnant people can use (as recommended by my doctor) which does nothing at all
-enough water to fill a small bath tub daily
-hot water with lemon and honey
-these lame "cough drops" aka sugar pills (can't eat any of the real ones, they have bad stuff for pregnant women in them)

Tonight I am going to take a benadryl to see if that can at least help with the sleep part. I am not keen on taking anything while pregnant but that one is ok and I have to think that this not sleeping for two weeks can't be good for baby either.

So, I am pregnant and totally exhausted because of the coughing. It apparently a post viral cough and I am not willing or wanting to take antibiotics because my lungs sound good, it is just a dry hacking totally annoying cough.

Thoughts? I have wasted the last two weekends and the past week feeling like crap and need to get better soon or at least get some sleep. I have never had a cough like this - Rob has taken to sleeping downstairs because I am up all night long. I have watched some interesting TV at 4:00 am...interesting indeed.

(And no Erin, we aren't telling anyone the baby's name :) but you can keep trying to get it out me sneakily)

E

4 comments:

  1. All I can think of is more honey - lots and lots of it. Or, maybe a neti pot? That may help clear out some of what's making you cough? Worked for me in the lead up to the wedding, but that may be more sinus that cough - but perhaps worth a shot?

    Maybe it's your body keeping you up because it really wants you to tell me what her name will be. I bet that's it. Maybe we should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My googling has come up with slippery elm (sounds weird...) and orange juice. Also gargling salt water. And sucking on pepper corns...WTF??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the vote for slippery elm. It worked really well for me last year. I got it from the pet store :-)

    ReplyDelete