Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sausage stuffed peppers

Tonight's dinner was a keeper so I am writing it down to remember it.

Sausage and rice stuffed bell peppers

5 bell peppers (I used red, yellow and orange ones)
1 onion
1 package of spicy sausage meat (I had to use links, I used 5 and took them out of the casings)
About 3 cups of cooked brown rice
I can of Rotel, excess liquid drained off (I bought it in the states and new I would use it!)
2 cups of frozen corn kernels
Mozzarella cheese
Salt and Pepper
Oil

1.  Cook the rice.  The recipe I adapted used white rice but I liked the brown in this dish.
(When I had Gestational Diabetes I realized that I have a tough time with white rice so I don't make it much anymore)

2. Dice and saute the onion in a bit of oil.  When onion is soft and translucent, remove it from the pan and set it aside.

3. Cook the sausage (remove it from the casing first) and crumble it well.

4. Once the sausage is cooked, add the onion, corn (frozen is fine), 1 can of Rotel and the cooked rice to the pan.  Cook for another 10 minutes or so until the corn is warm and the excess liquid cooks off.

While the pan of corn, sausage, Rotel and rice cooks, heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Slice the peppers in half from stem to bottom, clean out the seeds and place on a baking sheet.  Salt and pepper the pepper halves and place them in the oven for 10 min to start to cook.  After ten minutes, remove the peppers and spoon the sausage mix into them until they are heaping full.  Bake for 10 min at 400 degrees then remove from the oven and add mozzarella cheese to each one, bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese melts.

I served these with sour cream and they were very, very tasty.  We have left over mix and we will have it in wraps tomorrow for lunch with cheese, lettuce and sour cream, salsa would be good too.

Enjoy!!

-E


2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing - but what's Rotel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rotel is a mix of diced tomatoes and green chilies in a can :)

    http://www.texmex.net/Rotel/main.htm

    I bought some in the states because the Pioneer Woman puts it in a lot of her dishes and I am not sure if we can get it up here? You can always use a can of diced tomatoes and some jalapeno peppers instead; not sure if you can get it in the UK!

    ReplyDelete