Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dogs, kids, teeth, garden

Well today was not awesome.  I was supposed to go to the Dentist for a crown but after a traumatic 3.5 hours I ended up with a root canal and a temporary crown....fun times.  I will say that I can very, very happy that we have extended dental.  In 4 weeks I go back for my real crown.

We went for a family hike on the weekend with our dogs and my mom's dogs and of course our kids.  Carol over at SAINTS wrote a good blog post about how new parents can keep their pets.   Rehoming our dogs was never an idea that we had, even though we knew Arthur and Toby were not giant fans of kids.  Arthur just passed away but we did a good job of making sure he never bit the kids.  We will do the same with Toby.  Carol wrote about how spending short bits of time with your pets is all you need to do and I would agree.  I would also say that having dogs gets you and baby out of the house at the beginning to go for a walk.  There were days where that walk did wonders for my mental well being.  Plus - I could get a coffee too through the drive through :)

This is a picture from our hike on Sunday.  Loic and I hunted for bugs, the dogs chased sticks and Maelle watched everything going on around her:

 Such a good black lab!

 Loic watching Toby dig (and dig and dig)

My garden is coming along nicely!  We have eaten a lot of radishes, green onions and lettuce.  We have kale ready to start eating too - this pic is of some washed Pearl lettuce:


Oh Maelle :)  This is her new favorite pose:

 Agile baby!!

I made a delicious salad this week, soon I hope to use everything from the garden (well, not the feta) to make this salad:
-E

2 comments:

  1. My kale has gone to seed already! Time to cut it right back and hope it regrows. If you haven't tried making kale chips, Erika, I highly recommend them. There's lots of recipes for them online, some quite fancy, but I just tear the leaves (remove the stalks), wash and pat or spin them dry, toss them in a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then dehydrate. In my dehydrator, they are done in a couple of hours, but you can also do them in the oven, just takes a bit longer. Store in a tin in the fridge and they will stay crunchy - that's if there's any left at the end of the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! I have made them in the oven but I don't think I left them in long enough to make them really crispy.
    I put kale in everything - soups, stir fry, pizza, scrambled eggs and I also just steam in.
    Cutting it back might help!

    ReplyDelete