Saturday, May 4, 2013

House of Woe

Well then.  It has been quite the week at our house.

Poor Rob.  Rob had his much anticipated (much postponed) hernia surgery on Wednesday afternoon.  He had a bit of a rough go after the surgery but is home safe and sound.  He is very, very sore and cannot lift the kids or anything else for the matter until May 15th.  Needless to say that is a tough thing to do in a house with two little kids!  I certainly have a renewed respect for single parents.

My big plan was to be away this weekend so that Rob could stay home and relax in peace and quiet.  However, Loic had another plan.  Loic has had a terrible cough for over a week now.  He isn't sleeping well and hasn't been at daycare since Wednesday at lunchtime.  Poor kid.  I had to work Thursday so I left the two men on the couch watching cartoons so that I could go to my work meetings.  Between meetings I took Lolo to the Dr. because his cough was so bad we were actually worried about pneumonia but she said it was just a nasty virus.

On Friday we got a phone call early in the morning that Maelle's daycare lady was going to the hospital so we had no childcare for her on Friday.  I ran in and out of work on Friday while my folks watched her but then I had to take the rest of the day off.  Her daycare lady is fine (bad case of food poisoning) and I am thankful that my work is both understanding and flexible.

As of Friday night I was all packed and the kids and I were going to head up to Campbell River, but, Maelle started to cough a lot after she went to bed.  I was up with both kids quite a bit last night :(
I didn't want to be away with both of them coughing and feeling miserable so we stayed home.  We were supposed to be at my brother's birthday tonight - Happy Birthday Uncle Ryan! - and then we were going to head to Jody's house tomorrow.  Such is life - I am just glad that the illness and Rob's recovery are short in the grand scheme of things.

Duncan isn't feeling well so my folks asked me to take him to the vet this morning, we should know more tomorrow.  While I was at the vet a family came in to euthanize their old yellow lab.  The two teenagers were crying, which made me cry, so I stood in the far corner of the waiting room crying for them.  So so sad.  During all of this, only I can carry/hold/care for Maelle - so she was in the Ergo at the vet.  She seemed to like it there - she called all the dogs in the waiting room "Ty-Ty".

After the kids were in bed I mowed the back lawn and actually had to water the garden!  Oh, and the mason bees are using their house on my back shed!  While I have always said they are really high maintenance little insects, it was very exciting to see them flying around my apple trees and then back up to their house.  We shall see what happens and if they lay their eggs.


Side Garden in the back yard tonight:

Side Garden August 2010:
(I dug up the lawn myself and almost killed myself at the same time by falling into that very unforgiving fence.  Jess saw the whole thing) 

Hostas tonight:

Garlic and espalier apple tree tonight:

This is a different angle but shows the back garden in August of 2010; the garlic is currently growing up against the blue shed:
Truck wounded apple tree tonight (this tree makes awesome apples):

One of my three rhubarb plants tonight, I am not sure why the giant flower:

I love, love, love the changes we have made to the back yard.  The veggie garden, fences and compost bins were made by Rob and I put in some pretty nice gardens if I do say so myself :)

Here is hoping next week is better than the last!

-E



No comments:

Post a Comment