Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy Gotcha Day!

Soulful, kind eyes

It was 7 years ago today (!) that we brought Tyler home from the Vancouver Animal Shelter. Oh what a ride these past 7 years have been!

Tyler is an accomplished dog - he has made it into the Masters level in Agility and for the first time this year, he qualified for Nationals. He also teaches Rally Obedience with me and is a Rally super star. But best of all, he is a truly lovely dog. Agility and Rally are nice to do with him, and he loves the sports, but his best qualities are his kindness and his sense of humour. He is also in love with Loic, which really makes my heart melt to watch.

Who would have thought that the scared, totally neurotic, scared *#$less dog that we adopted 7 years ago would turn into the world's nicest family pet? Not me! I am so, so glad that we took a giant chance on him - it has been worth every moment. (Not to mention every $, I can't bring myself to think of the $ that we spent trying to help him overcome his demons. Still totally worth it though).

Here is to another 7 or more years Tyler - my trusty sidekick who is game for any activity but likes nothing more than to cuddle under the covers :) My big softy who quietly and gently kisses baby Loic and lets Loic hold onto him while he learns to walk. What would I do without this dog?! He gives meaning to the term "heart dog" for me and I treasure him, even when he is being naughty :)

E

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! We both know how I feel about Tyler and Loic together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Gotcha Day, Tyler.
    Erika, I remember the struggles you had with this boy and his very severe seperation anxiety. I am so very glad you stuck by him - I wish everyone was so committed to their animals. And I look forward to many stories and photos of Tyler and Loic over the next seven and more years.

    ReplyDelete