Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What is in your slow cooker today?

In mine is hamburger-veggie soup! I made this soup during Loic's first nap this am and it is cooking away on low as we speak, ready for Rob when he gets home from work and ready for me when I come home from helping Jody move later tonight. It is so good and sooooo easy to make. Oh, and if you don't have a slow cooker - get one! You will be amazed at how good your kitchen will smell. Just kidding, you can make it in a soup pot too. I will post the recipe below.

In other news, we went on a lovely hike with Deb today: 8 dogs, Deb, myself and Loic had a lovely walk. The dogs are tired, the baby is currently fighting his nap (in a half assed kind of way, he is just muttering to himself, hopefully he will stop soon) and my soup is cooking away. It was raining when I left so I left the camera at home which is a shame, because the sky cleared up and we had sun for our walk! Next time I will bring the camera.

Here is how you make this delicious soup. My mom makes it a bit differently, and I tend to make it based on what I have in the house. You will need:

-hamburger meat
-4 cups of chicken stock (I make my own and freeze it in 4 cup containers, but you can use store bought)
-1 can condensed beef consume + 1 can of water
-one onion (diced)
-3 cloves garlic (minced)
-1 yellow pepper (diced)
-1 zucchini (diced)
-2 carrots (diced)
-about a cup or two of cherry tomates (diced) OR one small can of diced tomatoes
-seasonings: salt, pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, bay leaves and italian spice mix

This is so very easy to make.

1. Brown your ground beef in a frying pan. While the beef is cooking, dice up all of the veggies and put them right into your slow cooker, or your pot.
2. Add in the 4 cups of stock, the beef consume and water to the pot.
3. Once cooked, add in the ground beef to the pot (see how easy this is? Just chop everything up and throw it into the pot! Easy peesy).
4. Season! Add a few tablespoons of the herbs, salt and pepper to taste and a bay leaf or two.

If you are using a slow cooker, cook on low all day. If you are using a pot, simmer until the veggies are tender. That simple!

Serve with small pasta noodles, on its own or with a loaf of bread. Will add a photo later, baby still not napping, need to go try and convince him to go to sleep now...

E


2 comments:

  1. Definitely doing this this week! Slow cookers forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow cookers forever! I *love* my slow cooker.
    E

    ReplyDelete