Monday, May 3, 2010

The great Steak Debate - for you Erin

We don't eat steak often (maybe once or twice a month) but we have the same "argument" at our house every time we cook it. Rob and I don't agree on how we should cook steak. I will tell you how we each do it, but my way is much tastier :)

To start with, buy good steaks. We like small, thick cut steaks - my mom showed me which ones to buy and I can't remember what cut they are! Mom - feel free to email me what kind you buy. Don't buy big cheap ones, go for small more expensive cuts, it is worth it. And don't ever, ever buy "quick cooking" T-Bone steaks - they suck. And don't buy any marinating steak - save those for the beef marinade I posted a few weeks ago.

The women on my mom's side of the family are very good at cooking meat. My mom roasts a lovely chicken, my aunty Christine cooks all sorts of game meats very well and my Aunty Sylvie cooks a mean roast. I can cook a great chicken and steak, I am not so big on cooking the bigger cuts of meat but one year I made a delicious organic turkey for thanksgiving. But I digress.

Rob's way to cook a steak

1. Bring steak up to room temperature and coat liberally with steak spice.
2. BBQ on med temperature for 6 minutes one side, 4 minutes on the other.
3. Let rest and eat.

Erika's way to cook a steak (taught by my mom)

1. Bring steak to room temperature and coat liberally with salt and pepper (my mom would use steak spice, like Rob)
2. Melt a good amount of BUTTER in a frying pan.
3. Cook steak on medium/high for 6 minutes on one side, 4 minutes on the other.
3. Let rest and eat.

Ok, my way produces a much tastier (read: yummy butter) steak while Rob's way produces a steak with a distinctive BBQ flavour. I find that the BBQ steak is a bit dry and not as "meaty" tasting.

It is the differences that make the world go round!! :)

E

9 comments:

  1. I was taught by my Dad, the master BBQer that one should never put salt on beef when it is raw as it will draw the moisture out and make the meat tough. Also it should be cooked no more than to medium rare.

    We buy prime rib steaks. I use garlic powder on one side and then bbq sauce when I flip it. I tend to cook it longer on one side and much shorter on the other side. MMMM good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that about salt! We only cook them to medium rare too, the 6 minutes one side and 4 on the other works if you have a nice thick steak. I don't like bbq sauce so tend to keep it plain and simple.

    Erin, let us know when and if you cook a steak!

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to point out that this is the only debate that Erika and I have where I have the (although only slightly) healthier option. It might just be that as a man I feel an obligation to stick up for the only means of cooking that my gender is capable of with some efficiency.
    As for the salt, it is a very important seasoning. But it is true that it shouldn't be used in a long marinade because it can dry out the meat slightly. If it is used at the last hour before cooking, then the moisture absorption will be negligible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well then!
    It is true, I am usually the "eat it, it is good for you!" partner in our relationship. Rob, you are a very good sport though, you eat a heck of a lot of zucchini (which I am very good at adding into a lot of recipes) and you usually like whatever I make, zucchini and all.
    I am not sure that steak is healthy at all, but you are right, yours does come without butter but it does come with a dose of charcoal...
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well gee Erika, you are BOTH doing it wrong. First, pat dry a room temperature steak (you don't want to be steaming it!). Then very lightly rub with a high quality oil. Season it with Montreal Steak Spice (the GOOD chunky stuff that is made with ground peppers, not the fine cheap stuff), then toss it on a VERY HOT BBQ (or a very hot dry cast iron pan), and sear each side to seal the juices in. On the BBQ, the lines from the grill should show clearly on the steak - it's about 1-2 minutes each side, max. After each side is sealed, move it to a low heat and cook it for about four minutes each side for a one inch steak, medium to medium rare. Add a minute or two for each half inch more thickness, or for each step up (eg, medium to medium-well).

    And - the secret to juicy - then let it rest for 5 minutes, very lightly covered, room temp. All the juices are sucked back into the meat....yum, yum, yum.

    And I'm having leftover pasta for dinner tonight. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did say to let them rest :)
    That is the steak spice that Rob and my mom like, I am not a huge fan. I will try the oil next time, thanks!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm even more afraid to cook a steak! Erika hasn't done me wrong yet, so I'm going to follow her. And, I like butter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw thanks Erin, my cooking apprentice ;)
    E
    ps - why aren't you asleep?! I will start lecturing you on the blog about sleep now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YIKES! Public lectures! I promise I went to bed at a nearly semi almost normal if you squint a bit time. I just have to make this Monday deadline and I can be a normal human being again.

    ReplyDelete