Monday, May 31, 2010

How to make stock

Today I made a bit pot of chicken stock, which is really easy to make and easy to store in your freezer for whenever you need stock. Homemade stock is so much better than store bought; I didn't think so until I started making stock.
Here is how I make mine!

Start with two roast chicken carcasses. I used two from my beer can chicken because they make really, really tasty stock. Whenever you roast a chicken just throw the carcass into your freezer and when you have two or three you can make some stock.

In a large pot throw in:

-2 or 3 carcasses
- 2 carrotts, chopped into pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped up into largish pieces
- 1 big onion, chopped up
- a handful of peppercorns
- three or so bay leaves
- a palmful of dried thyme

Cover everything with a lot of water and simmer, all day if you have time.

When it has been simmering for hours, strain everything out of it and you are ready to go. Discard the veggies, they have done their job now, and pick out the chicken meat. I usually freeze half and make a batch of chicken veggie soup with the other half. If you want to and have time, refrigerate the stock so that the fat hardens at the top and then skim off the majority of the fat (you have to leave a little bit for flavour!).

I am going to make chicken veggie soup tomorrow and will post that recipe.

E

3 comments:

  1. Making stock is very easy and so useful, once we get a freezer I'll be making loads of it! I've made veggie stock before as well, but it doesn't really provide the same soupy satisfaction as chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really easy, isn't it? And it makes your house smell so good! I usually make it when it is rainy outside. Are you guys going to get a freezer?
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this today. Wish me huge amounts of luck! I will take photos...

    ReplyDelete