Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Let's make Frittata!

Another dinner idea for you Erin!


This is an easy dinner and you can make it with whatever you have in the fridge. You need potatoes, eggs and then anything else you want. Here is how I make it.

To start with, you need cooked potatoes. I just boiled up a enough so that when sliced about half and inch thick, they cover the bottom of a large oven proof frying pan. This is important because you need to bake the whole thing in the oven once it is assembled.

While my potatoes were boiling, I sauteed the following in a bit of oil until tender:
- half of a red onion (diced)
- one celery stalk (diced)
- one small zucchini (diced)

Now, you can use whatever veggies you like. Red pepper would have been good too. In the fridge I had some steamed broccoli, which I will add later.

Melt some butter in your frying pan and make sure that you spread the butter up the sides of the pan, so that your eggs don't stick later on. Next, slice your cooked potatoes about a half an inch thick and lay them into the bottom of your frying pan, so that they cover the bottom as much as possible. I even added a few on top to fill in the holes.

Then, pile on your sauteed veggies and spread them out. On top of the sauteed veggies I added some diced broccoli and a thin layer of fresh spinach leaves (this time use fresh Erin!). At this point, I also added some diced capocollo (ham would be good too). Once you have spread out your veggies and meat, it is time for the eggs.

In a bowl, scramble about 5-6 eggs and add a splash of cream, salt and pepper. Once well mixed, pour the egg mixture over your veggies and potatoes.

The final step - cheese! I used jalapeno Monteray jack cheese, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. This is a great dish to make when you want to use up leftovers. Grate enough cheese to spread on the top of the frittata.

Pop the whole thing in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees, until the eggs are cooked. Serve with a green salad and voila - a tasty and delicious dinner.

E


2 comments:

  1. I put the frying pan into the oven? Really?

    I LOVE this post. Please can you post what you make for dinner every day for a week?

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Be warned though, Rob is cooking tonight!
    Maybe I will start tomorrow...
    Yes, the whole entire frying pan goes right into the oven; the photo is actually the finished product from last nights dinner. I should add, slice and serve it like a pie :)
    E

    ReplyDelete