Sunday, February 28, 2010

Let's make beef pasta sauce!

Hi all
Erin, here is another one for you. This is really, really easy to make and very tasty. You can also freeze some for quick dinners!

You will need:

-one package ground beef
-one onion, diced
-two or three cloves of garlic (minced - Erin, cut it as small as you can)
-fresh tomatoes, diced (I used grape tomatoes cut in half because I had some) Use a cup or so
-one sweet bell pepper, diced (I used yellow, but you could use any colour)
-one large can of plain tomato sauce
-herbs and spices - I used: salt, pepper, dried oregano, hot pepper flakes and an italian spice mix
-a pinch of sugar to balance out the tart tomato taste, trust me on this one

1. Brown ground beef in a large pot until it is cooked. Remove beef and drain fat out of pot. I will say it again, don't brown your meat and onion at the same time, you just loose flavour this way when you drain off the fat. Oh, and don't add the garlic in with the onion, it will burn.

2. In a tablespoon of oil, saute your diced onion in the same pot you cooked the beef in. Erin - a dice is about the size of your thumb nail or smaller. Once the onion is cooked, add your ground beef back to the pot.

3. Now add into your pot the diced pepper, minced garlic, cut up tomatoes, spices and the large can of tomato sauce.

4. Simmer for a few hours on low heat, stirring whenever you remember. Before serving, TASTE the sauce and add more seasonings as needed.

To serve, make pasta (whatever shape you like) and add on the sauce! I like to sprinkle some parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top; whatever is in my fridge is good.

Enjoy!
E

Erin - I forgot to do it today, but will post a video of my chopping up an onion for you soon, your mom thought a video would be the best way to show you :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you should publish an "easy recipes" book! You could do it on one of those free book making websites...it would be great - you have so many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good idea but now that so many people post recipes on their blogs, not sure it would be worth it. I will keep posting my dinner ideas here though! Have you made any of them? I know Jess made my lasagna and liked it!
    E

    ReplyDelete