Thursday, February 18, 2010

Let's make turkey lettuce wraps!

Ok ladies - here is dinner # 4! Turkey lettuce wraps.
These are easy to make and you can really use any ground meat, I like turkey because it is lean and tasty and not just for thanksgiving. I saw a recipe online but didn't have everything they listed so I made up this recipe - I think it is pretty good and so does Rob. You might have to add less hot pepper sauce, this version was very spicy.

You first need to prepare your veggies. Dice the following:

-one onion
-two stalks of celery
-one small red pepper
-two cloves of garlic, minced
-a chunk of fresh ginger, minced
-1 can of water chestnuts (I buy the sliced ones and then chop them up)

1. In a large frying pan saute the onion and celery until soft. In a bowl, add the minced garlic, ginger, red pepper and water chestnuts. Once soft, add the onion and celery to the bowl. You will cook the rest of the veggies later, it is just that the onion and celery need a little longer.

2. Now it is time to cook the ground turkey, in the same pan.

3. When the turkey is cooked, add in the bowl of veggies that you have already prepared. (Tip - you can chop everything up the night before so that you are ready to go for dinner, if you are in a rush). To recap - in your pan is: cooked turkey, sauteed onion and celery, diced red pepper, minced garlic and ginger.

4. Time to make sauce! In a bowl add:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
-4 tablespoons peanut sauce
-1 tablespoon red pepper sauce
-a few drops of sesame oil (not too much - a little goes a long way!)
-a pinch of sugar
Mix it all together then add it right into you pan of meat and veggies. Simmer for a few minutes, until everything is combined and cooked.

Here is what I use to make the sauce, plus the water chestnuts - I use a little can of them

To serve - wash a whole head of iceberg lettuce and make a pot of steamed white rice. Add equal parts rice and meat/veggie mix to a leaf of lettuce, roll it up and enjoy!

Lettuce

This is the finished meat/veggie mix, so good

This is really, really tasty.
Enjoy!
E



4 comments:

  1. When you say dice and chop - what size am I aiming for? How big is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob has pointed out that I need to explain sizing a lot better - I will post photos the next time I dice things!

    For garlic and ginger, cut them as small as you possible can. For this dish, you want the pieces to be very small - for example to cut the celery I cut it in half length wise and then cut those in half again (so you have four long strips of celery). Then cut those strips into very small pieces.

    I will post a photo of how to dice an onion, because that is important and starts most of my dishes off!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good! I want it right now though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have left overs in my fridge! :)
    This makes enough for about 4 people.

    ReplyDelete