Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dinner for One - amazing Tuna salad

Rob had a work meeting tonight, so I made dinner for myself. I made the Best Salad, courtesy of my mom's recipe (mostly). This salad was divine and so very filling - nutritious too! There are no photos because I was starving and ate it all. Right away. While sitting on the couch. Oh, and I ate it right out of the giant salad bowl that I made it in. I blame my dad for that, that is how he ate salad every night when I was growing up!

Tasty, tasty Tuna

Easy Tuna Salad (adapted from my mom's recipe)

You will need:

-a large salad bowl
-one can of my aunt Christine and Jim's tuna (which I realize might be hard to come by)
-homemade vinaigrette (sorry Erin, can't post the exact directions to this one, it is a bit of an art form that involves salt, pepper, a dash of dijon mustard, white vinegar and oil)
-one stalk of celery
-a handful of cherry tomatoes
-a lot of cucumber (I used the small japanese ones which are really tasty)
-one small red pepper
-lettuce (I used romaine and a bit of spring mix)

1. Make your vinaigrette in the bottom of your salad bowl. If my mom were making this, she would add some mayo (which I hate, so I don't add it) and she would leave out the dijon. I add a bit of dijon because it helps to emulsify the salad dressing and adds a nice subtle kick.
2. Slice or dice up your veggies into bite sized pieces and add them into the bowl. Feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. Carrots would have been good.
3. Open a can of tuna and remark to yourself about how good it looks. I mean, this is really nice canned fish. Thank you to Aunt Christine and Jim!! Roughly chop up the fish and throw it onto your veggies. It looks really nice at this point.
4. Add lettuce, toss and eat.

I ate this with a pita and stuffed half the salad into the pita and ate the rest with a fork. I feel very sorry for Rob because he is allergic to fish and can't ever eat this salad.

Enjoy! This dinner takes minutes to prepare and is filling and healthy. And TASTY; really, really tasty.

E

2 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh a lot. I think it was because of your enthusiasm for the salad shining through. I want it now though, so it worked. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want it now too!! Jody, you don't understand how good this is. I will make it for you on the 18th if you want!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete