Monday, January 28, 2013

Lucky dogs and a potato recipe

My mom and I took the dogs and the kids on a walk today, in the rain.  Neither my mom nor I were totally keen on going for a walk but the dogs needed to get out.  I think she said something along the lines of "we could be sitting on the couch having a coffee!" while she wrested Loic into his muddy buddy for the second time (he had to pee after we wrestled him into it the first time).  But, the dogs won and off we went on an Adventure Hike - that is what Loic calls all of our hikes in the woods.

Yesterday we had a lovely hike in the snow up on Hollyburn; the dogs and the people had a blast!  Duncan rolled down the hills in the snow followed by Loic while Tyler and Toby RACED back and forth along the path and in and out of the snow banks.  I had my phone but forgot to take any pictures.  Oh well, next time.

Here is a potato dish that is easy, tasty AND freezes well.  The measurements aren't exact and you can tailor it to whatever you have on hand.  Mine were not exactly healthy...

Twice Baked stuffed Potatoes

-5 large baking potatoes
-half a package of bacon cooked and crumbled
-4 green onions, sliced
-about 1/2 cup of sour cream
-grated cheddar cheese (I had white cheddar on hand)
-salt and pepper
-a few tablespoons of butter

Bake the potatoes until they are soft all the way through.  Once cool, slice them in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the insides and add them to a bowl with the: bacon, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper, cheddar and onions.  Mash all of that good stuff up then add it back into the potatoes.  Bake until hot and lovely.  Oh and I sprinkled the tops with cheese before I baked them the second time.

We each had half a potato for a side dish for dinner with a roast chicken and sauteed veggies and it was delicious.  I had 8 halves left so I froze them in pairs - a quick and easy side dish to pull out of the freezer when needed!  An easy way to freeze them is to put them on a baking sheet and freeze them solid, then wrap them in saran wrap.  Don't cook them the second time before you freeze them, just pop them in the oven for 30 min or so from frozen when you want to eat them.

-E


No comments:

Post a Comment