Monday, January 28, 2013

Tasty Chicken quesadillas

Here is something you can make quickly with left over roast chicken.  We had these for dinner and they were really tasty.

Healthy Chicken Quesadillas (baked not fried)

You need:

- veggies - I used two red bell peppers, one onion and some green beans (I use whatever I have in the fridge but I usually use peppers, onions and something else like a zucchini or the beans)
- left over roast chicken, shredded
- chili powder and ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- cheese (I used white cheddar because I had it on hand)
- fresh tomatoes
- sour cream
- lettuce (this part is optional)

To make them start by slicing your veggies into medium sized pieces/slices (sorry this isn't very descriptive) and sautee them in a bit of oil.  To your veggies add the shredded chicken and the spices.  I used chili powder and cayenne, just add as much as you want.  Oh and add salt and pepper.  Once you have sauteed the veggies and they are nice and tender, you can assemble the quesadillas.

To assemble:

Put your large tortillas on a baking sheet.  On half of them layer some shredded cheese then add quite a lot of your chicken and veggie mix.  Top with more cheese.  At this point I add tomatoes to mine but not Rob's because he "doesn't like cooked tomatoes".  To each their own!

Fold the tortilla in half so that your filling is inside and bake until brown and the cheese is all bubbly.  Serve with sour cream and lettuce if you want on the side.  I really like to add lime slices but I didn't have any.

If you go easy on the cheese and heavy on the veggies like I do, plus if you use whole wheat wraps, these are quite healthy and filling and very, very tasty.

Enjoy!

Also, when I make a roast chicken we eat the chicken one night, usually have chicken quesadillas the next night and I freeze the chicken carcass to make soup.  That means with one chicken we get two dinners for our family plus chicken for stock and soup.  Not a bad way to use one chicken.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment