Sunday, February 17, 2013

96 square feet

Rob built three raised beds for me today for the front garden!  We are finally turing that lawn into something productive.  He didn't actually have a helper, I took him and the dogs out for two hours and Maelle napped while he worked.


I am going to plant three of my blueberry plants at the foot of each of the beds; the last blueberry can stay in the back garden near the apple trees I have out there.   I need to find an apple tree for the front yard and maybe next year we will do another raised bed for a cut flower garden and then the front space will be well used.

Next weekend we will go to the transfer station to buy a few yards of soil (just under 4 I think) to fill the beds and we will then do a soil test (thanks Ryan) to see what we need to add to the garden beds.  THEN I can start planting!  I have ordered seeds and I am raring to go.  I will move the three blueberry plants next weekend though, that will satisfy my need to plant something.  Oh and we need to add some cardboard to the base of those raised beds ASAP, we can do that one night this week.

Fun times!!  In the back garden we have 1/3 planted with garlic, two apple trees, a red currant tree that has so far gotten large but hasn't produced a single thing, one baby ground cherry plant and my compost bins.  This year I will do another 1/3 with potatoes and the other 1/3 is up in the air right now. I know the 4th blueberry will be in there so between the ground cherry, blueberry, currant and apples there won't be a lot of room.  Maybe I will do a square of corn?  Not sure yet.

Other than my new veggie boxes, I am going to see what my perennial garden looks like this year (it runs the length of the driveway) and the back perennial garden should look nice and filled in this year.  My hosta garden is awesome and we will have to see if the apple tree we planted in the lawn is alive this spring!  It wasn't exactly dug up with a lot of roots.... :)

Next weekend: move blueberries, add soil, send off soil test.

-E


No comments:

Post a Comment