Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My car is trying to be a boat

Well.  I bought my 2007 Honda Fit new.  It has been an *awesome* car for our family.  That car took me to and from UBC, commuted with me from Maple Ridge to South Surrey for work, has gone on countless road trips, I have slept in it with the dogs at trials, it has carried many (many!) dogs to and from different events and hikes and my kids and dogs can all fit in it together.  Imagine my dismay when I noticed the floor carpeting in the back was totally soaked and a bit moldy this morning.  THEN imagine my horror when I looked into the back where the spare tire is kept and I saw that the tire was surrounded by a lot of water.

It appears that my car would rather be a boat.  A bad boat non the less, but a boat.  Honda will charge me $250 to diagnose and dry it out and hopefully fix whatever seal they fine broken (the actual fix is $20 but the finding of the problem is costly).  Rob and I sat outside this evening with a sprinkler running on top of the car and we can finally see where the water is coming in.  We think it is coming into the trunk, filling the spare tire space and then the water sloshes up and into the rear seats, soaking the carpet.  Awesome.  A quick google search of "Honda Fit leaking water in spare tire space" yielding a huge number of hits...awesome again.

I am going to start out tomorrow by visiting my mechanic, who I really trust but who says water issues are "terrible and hard to find" so I will probably then take it to Honda where they will keep it for 3 days to dry, fix, soak and test to see if they fixed it.....

Wish my little Honda well and please, please hope they find the leak quickly!!!!!  We have been toying with selling it for something slightly bigger and once fixed this might just push us into finding another car.  I don't want to sell it 'as is' and pass along the issue and Honda assured me that once they find the issue, it can be fixed.  Finding it is the big problem apparently.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment