Friday, November 23, 2012

Ahh 3 year olds and a meatloaf recipe

Today I was all set for a battle at preschool.  The last two times we have dropped him off he has cried and told us he didn't want to go; he stops within minutes and has a great time once he gets there.  Today, he said "Bye Mama!" while he ran in, dropped off his bag and proceeded to talk his teachers ear off about what was on his shirt.  Ahh the ever changing mind of a 3 year old :)

He does seem to be out of his funk today, which is nice and makes him a heck of a lot nicer to be around!  While I am struggling a bit with the lack of an afternoon nap, he is going to bed much earlier and faster than when he was still napping.  And I will confess, he has watched a few movies this week which gives me a chance to study while the baby naps.

MEATLOAF - can be very tasty and not bland.  I make a very tasty one with sausage meat, however, it is fattening and not at all good for you.  I made this recipe up and we loved it.

Here is a very easy meatloaf recipe for you to try:

Ingredients:

- 1 normal sized package of ground beef (I used some from the last steer we bought)
- 1 package for frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess moisture removed
- 1 onion, diced
- a few teaspoons of dried mustard
- salt and a lot of pepper
- one egg
- about a 1/4-1/2 cup of bread crumbs

1. Saute the onion until soft in a frying pan with a small amount of oil
2.  In a large bowl add in the other ingredients
3. Add the cooked onion to the large bowl and mix well
4. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray
5. Use your hands to make round "balls"of meatloaf - my mixture made 8 and place them in the muffin tins.
6. Bake (I think I baked mine at 375) until cooked, I didn't time it but since they were little it was less than an hour.

I served these with brown rice and steamed cauliflower (aka white broccoli in our house) and they were good.  Making them in muffin tins means you get the slightly roasted outside and a lot of flavour inside.  I will make these again.

-E


No comments:

Post a Comment