Tuesday, November 6, 2012

'The Border Edition' or 'How to get yourself in trouble'

Yesterday, Jody, Jess and I took the two kids to the states for the day to do some shopping (grocery for me) and to have lunch.  We had a great time until I thought I was going to get arrested at the border when we came back to Canada.

Let me back up slightly.

While at the Mall on our last stop, we walked by some riding toys for kids.  I would have let Loic have a turn but none of us had $0.75 to put in the machine.  Loic took this well but commented a few times that we "had no money".

Fast forward to the border.  We were on our way BACK into Canada and the Border guard asked me where my notarized letter was giving me permission to take the kids to the states without their Dad.  Now, I have never been asked this question before even though I have flown with Loic to the states without Rob and have also driven across the border with the kids alone quite a few times.  I also know it is a rule and it is a good one, I just have never really bothered with the letter!  Oops.

So, we get to the border, keep in mind I was taking the kids back into Canada to their father, and the guard asks me for the letter.  I said I didn't have one so he then...asked to talk to Loic.  Big gulp on my part.

We rolled down his window where Loic proceeded to tell the man, about 20 times very quickly, that "We have no money!" "My Aunties have no money!" "We have no money!"  He wouldn't even let the man talk!  At this point I tried to tell the super lame story about the riding toy but the guard didn't seem to care.

The guard then asked Loic: "Do you know where your Dad is?" to which Loic replied, sounding quite concerned: "I don't know..." while tilting his head to the side.  Awesome.  At this point I nervously said: "Ha ha ha!  Of course you know, he is at his job site!"  The border guard must have taken pity on us, and realized we were going HOME and he let us through.  Phew.

-E

1 comment: