Thursday, November 8, 2012

Skating, Day One

I was planning on taking a picture of Loic in his skates at his first skating class but his first class didn't exactly go according to plan.  My cousin and I signed Loic and her little boy up for classes a few weeks ago because we thought they would like to go together.

When we got there, Loic was excited to skate, put on his skates and helmet and marched over to the ice where the two instructors were waiting.  They handed the kids a chair each to hold onto and Loic took two steps before falling over backwards, hitting his head (thank god for helmets!) on the ice.  That was all she wrote - he got off the ice and wouldn't go back for anything.  A few nice parents asked him to go with them (I had the baby in her carrier and couldn't go myself) and Loic politely told them that no, he was NOT interested.

Oh well!  We shall see what he does next week...he liked watching the other kids but was not going to go onto the ice today.  He is normally so keen to try anything that I was taken aback by his total refusal to try, but, he did scare himself and I completely understand.  He is also just 3 - it is early to start and he was one of the youngest kids in the class.

At one point I said "You need to learn how to skate so you can play hockey!" because he says he wants to play hockey and he very calmly said "No thanks - I don't need to play hockey anymore".  Poor kid!  At least hockey isn't a necessary life skill :)  Right Rob?!

-E

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of him. He is showing three admirable traits: Common sense, stick-to-ittivenes, and a refusal to participate in sport(s). Loic, if you are reading this, your uncle is proud of you. Gardening and polo, and not the type with water, are the only truly dignified sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!
    I want him to like and to play sports!! He likes the pool and riding horses, maybe a type of polo is in his future?!
    E

    ReplyDelete