Monday, November 5, 2012

Very Bad Dog (VBD) aka Very Smart Dog (VSD)

Yesterday I baked a carrot cake from scratch to take as my Dad's birthday cake to dinner.  I made it in two cake pans and when the cake was done and cooling, we decided to take a trip down to Maplewood farm to let Loic run around.

So, knowing and living with Tyler for over 9 years, I needed a place to put the cakes.  He is a notorious counter surfer and we have learned not to leave ANYTHING on the counter.  Jody used to think we were just really, really tidy until she learned it was all because of Tyler!  Some of the things he has eaten in the past include:

- 1 Liter of salmon oil (was in a shut cupboard above the washer and dryer)
- 1 kg of milk bones (also in a shut cupboard)
- 1 very large, raw pumpkin
- all sorts of tupperware, cardboard and other storage containers - empty yoghurt containers are a favorite
- a tray of cinnamon buns (was on top of the fridge)
- various loaves of bread, bagels etc.
- more but I can't remember right now!

So, I think for living with him for 9 years and having had quite a few roommates, we have done quite well!  There is no training him out of this so we had to train ourselves.  Stuff stays in either the fridge or the microwave aka the dog storage units.

Back to my cakes.  There were two so one cake went into the microwave, as per usual, but there was no room for the second one.  I decided to put it in a large, hard to open drawer that has never had food in it before.  In it went and off we went to the farm.

When we came home, the drawer was open, the cake was gone and the VBD/VSD was looking...bloated.  Smart dog opened the drawer and ate my cake!  I proceeded to bake another cake...

"I am SO Naughty"

Tyler is lucky he is so nice!  And there is no point in getting mad at him after it happened, he wouldn't know why I was mad.

Lesson learned; drawers, cupboards and the counter are NOT safe.  Until he learns how to open the fridge and the microwave those are the only safe places.

-E

5 comments:

  1. You are so lucky he can't open the fridge and microwave (yet)....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you leave stuff in the oven?? What a hilariously smart dog you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the oven before but it was still hot when we went out!! I didn't want the cake to dry out!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. You need those child-proof cupboard/drawer fasteners everywhere - though I guess he would just chew them off as I think they are plastic?
    Better stock up on chains for the fridge. Potbellied pigs learn to open fridges quite easily and clear out all the food within reach, so I'm betting one day Tyler will figure it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A whole pumpkin? Holy smokes lol, and I thought Tommy was bad. He at least doesn't eat the kabocha on the counter :)

    ReplyDelete