Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Comfort Food

Erin, these are easy and tasty recipes for you to try.

A few days ago I made the Pioneer Woman's Corn and Cheese Chowder and it was very, very good.  I followed her recipe but used frozen instead of fresh corn and only one type of cheese.  I also served it with a green salad and a loaf of sourdough bread instead of bread bowls.  Delicious.

Pioneer woman chowder

I also made some vegetarian bean and sweet potato chili in my slow cooker.  I got the recipe out of the province and it was really tasty.  I made a few edits and it turned our just fine.


Slow Cooker Mixed Bean and Yam Chili

Preparation time: 20 minutes - it was really, really fast to prepare
Cooking time: 6 hours
Makes: a lot!!  I have a big slow cooker and it was full
Note: This recipe is designed for an oval slow cooker with a 5-L capacity or more. 

2 (19-oz or 540-mL) cans bean medley, drained, rinsed and drained again **I used two cans of white kidney beans and it was great**
1 (28-oz or 796-mL) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28-oz or 796-mL) can diced tomatoes
1 cup (240 mL) vegetable stock **I used one cup of water because I didn't have any veggie stock**
1 cup (240 mL) fresh or frozen corn  **I used frozen**
1 large yam (about 3.2 oz or 375 g), peeled and cut into 1/2-in. (1.3cm) cubes
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) oregano
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste
sour cream or thick yogurt, to taste (optional)  **I served it with sour cream**
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or slice green onion  **I used green onions because I hate cilantro**

Place all the ingredients, except salt, sour cream or yogurt and green onion, in your slow cooker and mix to combine. Cover and cook on the low-heat setting for 6 hours.  **I used the high setting because on low mine wasn't even warm after an hour.  I did one hour on low and 5 on high and it was great ** Taste the chili and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Ladle the chili into bowls. Top, if desired, with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Sprinkle with cilantro or green onion and serve.

Enjoy!

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment